Friday, June 11, 2010

Your Calling

I was very challenged and encouraged by a lunch I had with one of my college friends yesterday. We are both in Youth Ministry and he recently accepted a job at a church in Omaha so we were trying to catch up before he moves next week. I consider him to be somewhat of a youth ministry role model. Everytime we meet I can see his passion and thirst to learn and connect in ministry. In other words, this guy is doing ministry the right way.
I shared with him that the past year or so when I think about my role in ministry, I feel inadequate to serve at a place other than FPC where I am now. I have somehow convinced myself that my experience here wouldn't translate to another church and I wouldn't have much to offer them. I guess I have a pretty low view of myself as a youth pastor. In telling him that, I also mentioned that I wasn't sure if I wanted to work at another church after this. I guess I my main fear is that I will be found out that I am a really good faker. I don't have it nearly as together as I try and make it look like I do. And I have developed bad habits and routines that I know aren't healthy in a growing ministry. In other words, I can be lazy.
But what he told me was both encouraging and a wake up call. He just said that "you can't let those things, those fears and feelings, get in the way of your calling." He talked about Jonah, and how he ran from what God was calling him to do, and it not only affected him, but it affected the people on the boat with him.
I have been wrestling with this statement for the last 24 hrs and for some reason it is difficult to put my mind around. My Calling. Its just tough to define what i feel my calling is. I remember feeling called to be in ministry. But I never felt I was called to something specific. But I guess what I am realizing is that because of my gifts God has given me, I have to be willing to serve and answer the calling no matter what kind of ministry I am called to, instead of letting my fear of inadequacy keep me from fullfulling what God has made me for.
My challenge to any of you is what are the things that are getting in the way of what God has called you to? There are 2 ways of looking at that. 1, you are called to a specific role or job in this world. Maybe God called you to be a dentist, or a accountant or a baker. Whatever. Maybe you were just called to be a helper and whatever job enables you to do that, you are fulfilling your calling. The other way to look at it, which I think is universal to all Christ Followers is that we are called to do specific things. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for orphans and widows, go and make disciples, be the Hands and Feet of Jesus. We are all called to do that if we have accepted Christ. But what things have gotten in the way of our calling? Our desire to please ourselves first? Our busy schedules? Our lack of concern? Our friends? Families? What is it that is keeping you from your calling to be Jesus to those who need Him?

No comments: