Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Eric McCabe = Coolest disc golf experience ever!

On thursday night last week, I decided to make the trip up north to Waterworks Disc Golf Course. They have a thursday night glow league, and I thought it would be fun. It wasnt terribly cold yet. Plus, I heard a rumor that Eric McCabe the 2010 Disc Golf World Champion was going to be there. I thought I would go just to see him. So we all get there and sign up, then draw for partners. You draw playing cards and whoever has the same number as you is your partner. I was standing in a circle with Emac as they call him, and a couple of the other guys around him had asked if he had the same number as them, So I jokingly said something like, "Hey emac, you got my other 3 over there?" To which he replied, "3? ya, I got it." It was at that point that a little bit of pee might have come out of me. I couldn't believe it. I had won the lottery! I was going to be the partner of the Disc Golf World Champion. I know this doesn't sound as cool to all of you as it does me, but imagine, if you loved playing golf, and you got to be partners with Tiger Woods for a round. That is what we are talking about here! So I got to spend about 3 hours, playing and talking with Eric McCabe. I was blown away at how stinking good he was. We did use 5 of my drives, and few putts however, so I wasn't completely useless. But it was an experience of a life time. We ended up tying for 2nd place. Neither of us knew the course in the dark, so that was part of the problem. But we could have gotten last place and I still would have been ecstatic. I doubt that he would have been too happy though. He was a really cool guy, and very laid back. He didn't seem to care if I had a bad drive or missed a putt. And he never lost his cool if things didnt go his way. He was already one of my favorite disc golfers out there, but this experience makes him my absolute favorite. No question about it.
This is more like what I want this blog to be like. I wish I could have an experience like this every week. But I think this one will last me for a while.

No comments: