Sunday, April 5, 2009

2nd Place!!!

So my very first PDGA tournament was Saturday. I totally underestimated the entire experience. First of all, I got up at 5:45 am, which is unheard of for me, to meet my ride at 6:30 to drive to Topeka. We got to Topeka around 8am because we had to pick one other guy up on the way. It was me and two guys in their mid 40's. So we did about a 9 hole warm up round. Then went to get registered in the club house. There were 101 guys there total so it was really hopping. Since it was my first tourn. I entered the Recreational division. There were 2 courses we used that day and the low divisions started at a different course than the higher ones (where my ride was playing) so I ended up asking random guys for rides. We played the first round and I was 4 strokes off the lead tied for 3rd. I got a ride with one of the guys in my group and went to lunch with him and a friend of his. They were from Emporia. They were partiers(apparently not an actual word) to say the least. So I heard a lot of interesting stories. As well as got invited to a kegger they are throwing in a couple weeks. After lunch we played the second round at the other course. I played a lot better and finished in 2nd place! I couldn't get the lead from the guy who had it, but I jumped over the two guys in my way. I still played a lot worse than I should have. I think I could have won my division if I had putted better, but it was windy and I wasn't comfortable. Anyway, I after the round we went to the player's party at a restaurant and bar for the awards and stuff. We got tickets for raffle drawings and I won that twice! So I got some shirts and hats and stickers and license plate stuff, so that was cool. they did give me a hard time for winning twice, but I gave most of my second prize to the guy who drove me. And then they announce the winners of the division and how much. So... "2nd place in the rec division, Anthony Puryear!" Oh yeah! And for winning 2nd I got $60 good toward the lsdiscs store! (which I would spend money at eventually anyway :) After that we left for home. Dave Hemmeline the guy who drove me tied for 6th overall. And the guys that I thought were gonna ride with us got 3rd and 4th overall. We finally got home around 9:15. So it was a huge day, with tons of excitement. I can't wait to play more tournaments and just keep getting better. If you want to see the results of the whole tournament you can check it out here: http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8818

1 comment:

abby! said...

You're a stud. I feel honored to call you my cousin.