Thursday, January 15, 2009

Drums

I have always considered myself a musician. I can sing and play guitar. I played trombone in Jr. High and part of High School. I can read music for the most part, although I'm sure I would have a tougher time doing it now than back then. And I love the piano, although I can only play bits and pieces. I can sit at a piano for 45 minutes just tinkering around seeing what sounds good. The piano is soothing. However, today I just finished spending about an hour playing the drum set. yes I was on my own in our church sanctuary. I didn't even go in there with the intent to play. But I thought why not, so I put in the first cd I found in the sound booth and cranked up the volume. It happened to be David Crowder's A-Collison. Not the easiest cd to play along with. And you may be thinking, "I'm glad I was not around to hear that." But I have to admit, I feel like I have a little bit of natural talent when it comes to the drums. I obviously am not great. But I can carry a beat, and rock out when the time comes. But after today's jam session, I really fell in love with playing the set. Although I was loud and got off track a couple of times, I was amazed at the worship experience it was. Partly because it was crowder I was playing with, and partly because i was able to play with so much emotion. I don't think there is another instrument that you can express emotion so well through. So now I plan on trying to play with a live band sometime. Probably just the teen worship band. Just to see how I can hang with live music. But I am kind of excited. Just thought I would share that thought. 

1 comment:

Cory said...

Glad you have finally seen the light on the greatest instrument there is. Maybe now you should pay me 20 dollars an hour for lessons like the people I give lessons to now do.