Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Top Albums of 2008

Well, after reading several of these and seeing lots of albums I should have had on this list but somehow missed out on, this is my top 10 albums of 2008. It was hard putting them in order. The top 5 were pretty easy, but the #'s 6-10 were a little more difficult to narrow down. And i decided it was impossible to narrow it down to top songs. So here are the albums.
#10. 
#10 Coldplay - Viva La Vida... - Even though they have become about as popular as anyone can get, I still really enjoy what they put out. I don't know if they will ever be as good as A Rush of Cold Blood to the Head, but they still have some great stuff
#9. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals - I was introduced to this guy about a year ago and I love what he does. I hear something new that I didn't notice the first time every time I listen to it.
#8. Vampire Weekend - These guys kind of came out of nowhere and exploded. I checked them out to see what the hype was about. I like it. Its got great guitar lines and fun drum beats. One of those cd's you can listen to that makes you tap your feet
#7. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs - A quality cd from a band I continue to enjoy more and more. Maybe not as good as some of their previous work, but still worth the nod here.
#6. Horse Feathers- Words are Dead - So this album was not put out in 2008. This is from 06 I believe. They put out a new one in O8 that I haven't bought yet but definitely will. I put this one on because it is one of my favorites of 08 even though it is a bit older. That might now fly in most 08 lists, but this is mine and I can do what I want. These guys are a lot like Iron and Wine who I love. I was kind of in a folk-y mood this year I guess. 
#5. Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things - I wasn't always a big Jason Mraz fan, but I bought this because i liked one of the songs i heard. Now I am a huge fan. I felt like his earlier stuff was a little to pop-y but this album has a ton of depth to it. Great songwriting again. This one will keep getting played for a while.
#4. Born In The Flood - If This Thing Should Spill - These guys are an indy band that I just heard about through following a friend of mine's band. Awesome unique voice. Great songwriting and tons of emotion and energy. I'm hoping for big things from these guys. The lead singer also has a solo project called The Wheel. Its worth a listen as well.
#3. Charlie Hall - The Bright Sadness - This album is so much more than a worship cd. It is complex and really expands the boundaries of what most mainline worship artists have put out. Plus so many songs get stuck in your head and its in a good way.
#2. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night - I hadn't really listened to KOL before this and I feel like I missed out on something special. I bought this cd out of curiosity and was immediately taken back by how much I enjoyed it. 
#1. Jon Foreman - Limbs and Branches - This is the album that just kept sticking out it my mind. He put out his Winter and Fall EP and most of the songs that are on there are on this cd with a couple extras. But this is one of the best displays of song writing I can think of. I love this.

Other Albums that almost made the list:
Passion- God of this City
Family Force Five - Dance or Die
Phil Wickham - Cannons
Jack's mannequin - The Glass Passenger
Daft Punk - Discovery
LCD Soundsytem - Sound of Silver
Anberlin - New Surrender
Sanctus Real - We Need Each Other
Ben Folds - Way to Normal

Hope you'll check out some of that stuff and enjoy as much as I do.

2 comments:

Cory said...

I feel like your list is more similar to mine than Joel's. I liked it. I just got Jon Foreman this month and I really like it a lot.

Joel said...

Good list. I didn't know you got a Horse Feathers album.