Tuesday, January 20, 2009

GLOW

Its been a few days since i posted. I feel like I had a pretty busy weekend. Some of the exciting things were as follows, Bunko night with the family. I had a lot of fun. Sunday night I went bowling with the youth group. My game scores in order were; 116, 113, 167, 122. The 167 game was because I bet a couple of the youth group girls that if I beat them they cleaned my office and if they won i took them to starbucks. So needless to say, my office is gonna get cleaned! But I'll probably still buy them starbucks. The other crazy thing on Sunday was getting a phone call at 8:30am from our sr. pastor saying his whole family was sick including him and he wasn't going to make it to church. Kinda crazy, but no big deal because he says there is a guy coming to fill in for the sermon. I just have my normal duties of sunday school and worship. So after sunday school I come down to the sanctuary about 3 minutes before service starts. And some of our leaders tell me that there is no sign of the guest preacher. So I should get ready to preach! So I start to freak out a bit, and head to my office to try and find a talk I gave to the teens that I can use. Luckily as I am walking into my office I see the guest preacher walk in. This is as the service is starting! But at least he made it and I didn't have to preach on last minute notice. it all worked out ok. But it was a bit hectic there for a few minutes. 

My biggest highlight of the week revolves around disc golf of course. Monday night the local course here in Olathe has GLOW night disc golf. This is where you take little LED lights they make for discs, and tape them to the top of your disc so you can see them while its dark outside. Its really cool to watch actually. I had never played before but decided I would last night. I got a few lights for Christmas that I needed to use. So I get out there and all these guys are kind of just hanging out. I go sign up and all that then we draw cards for partners. Its just a random drawing so you never know who you will be paired up with. Well I get paired up with a guy named Dave Hemmeline. I had heard of him before, turns out he is KC's #1 player. So that was pretty amazing to get to be his partner. I felt pretty inferior compared to him, but I still had a ton of fun. But thats not even the craziest part. When I showed up to play i saw a guy I recognized but couldn't quite figure out where. Turns out it was Eric McCabe. He is currently ranked #10 in the world. And just won the Professional Disc Golf Association's Players Cup. I had seen videos of him and stuff. But now I was about to play against him! So I was pretty excited about that. For me it was like getting to play basketball against Kobe Bryant or something like that. Luckily, like I said, we were playing with partners. So the final score of the night was: Eric McCabe and his partner, first place, -12 under par, 2nd Place: Anthony Puryear and his Partner, -7 under par. Obviously i would have been nowhere near his score were it not for being partners with another pro, but its fun to say I got second place when I played with one of the world's best. Plus, I won 14 bucks for second place. So all in all, it was a pretty amazing night. 

No comments: